We care for those with a range of gynaecological ailments including pregnancy problems and loss up to 20 weeks. Based at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, we offer an extensive range of treatments for women in the North East of England.
Our team of dedicated gynaecological surgeons specialise in benign (non-cancerous) and malignant (cancerous) conditions. We use the most clinically advanced techniques available in line with national guidelines. This includes those published by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence).
We are recognised as a centre for excellence. We receive many referrals from other hospitals across the North East.
One of our key aims is to ensure that you receive the very best and safest care, avoiding major surgery wherever possible. Our surgeons can offer a broad range of minimally-invasive procedures under local anaesthetic. This means that where appropriate, you can come in for your treatment and go home on the same day.
As many as one in five women will experience some form of gynaecological condition during their lives. This often leads to pain and inconvenience. We offer a committed, patient-centred service in Newcastle with a team of experienced clinicians and specialist nursing staff.
We can provide you with the very best care, advice and support whenever you need it.
Our highly experienced and skilled clinical staff have pioneered a number of improvements to our services. This allows us to ensure you will receive the best possible care. These include :
- ‘One stop’ clinics where scanning, consultation, blood tests and planning all take place at the same visit
- A dedicated pre-assessment clinic
- A 24 hour telephone line for direct referral for termination of pregnancy (ToP). As well as evening and weekend appointments that are more convenient for some women
- 24 hour admission if you have a gynaecological emergency so you don’t need to go to A&E
- Laparoscopic (minimally invasive) procedures helping to reduce the length of time you need to stay in hospital
- Specially trained nurses and doctors working in colposcopy and urodynamics with very short waiting times
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Clinic (EPAC) if you have problems in the first few weeks of pregnancy
Specialist advice and support
You will come to our gynaecological unit on Ward 40 or the Day Unit if you are admitted for a specific problem or treatment. Here we treat women who may need minor day surgery or procedures which require a longer stay in hospital.
A specialist nurse runs our pre-assessment clinic. They will give you all the advice and support you need to help prepare you for your surgery.
We are committed to helping make your time with us as straightforward as possible.
Please contact us 0191 282 5640