A colposcopy is a procedure to examine the neck of the womb (or the cervix) with a magnifying instrument called a colposcoscope.
A colposcopy will be carried out when abnormalities are found in cervical cells. This is usually following a smear test (also called a cervical screening test).
You may also be referred to the colposcopy clinic if;
- Your cervical sample (smear) was reported as inadequate
- Your GP or practice nurse had difficulty obtaining a satisfactory cervical sample
- You have experienced bleeding after sex and / or between periods
- Your GP or practice nurse is concerned about the appearance of your cervix
What happens during the appointment?
When you first arrive at the clinic, we will:
- check your personal details and medical history
- explain why you have been asked to attend the clinic
- explain what will happen during the procedure.
We will then take you to an examination room where the colposcopy will be carried out.
The Colpscopy Team is part of the Newcastle Hospitals Women’s Health Unit, and our team includes a range of experts.
You will be seen by either an accredited colposcopist or a trainee who is undergoing British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology recognised training.
Cancelling your appointment
Please let us know if you can no longer attend your appointment. We can then offer the appointment slot can to another patient.
To alter your appointment, please call 0191 282 0370
The colposcopy team is based on level two in the New Victoria Wing of the RVI in Newcastle.
For more details about our services, please contact:
- Sister Jilly Goodfellow, Nurse Practitioner for Colposcopy and Sister in charge of the Women’s Health Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The clinic, Monday to Friday 8.00am – 5.00pm on 0191 282 0140
You might find our information about the clinic and your treatment useful:Colposcopy clinic – Information for women referred with a cervical sample
- Colposcopy Clinic for smear abnormalities
- Colposcopy Clinic for clinical referrals
- What happens at your Colposcopy Clinic appointment
- Treatment at your Colposcopy Clinic appointment