CHIPS is a specialist service designed to provide expert palliative care support for babies, children and young people with serious and life-threatening conditions and their families.
The service works alongside the other clinical teams who are caring for them.
CHIPS is a regional service supporting babies, children and young people across the North East and north Cumbria.
Our roles include
- General advice and support for teams, families and children with serious and life-threatening conditions.
- Introducing palliative care to children and their families at the time it is needed whether that be diagnosis or another point in their illness.
- Ongoing palliative care support for families
- Support with planning ahead and making decisions
- Managing complex symptoms
- Support for families whose child is deteriorating and may be reaching the end of their life
- Coordinating and supporting end of life care, whether that is at home, hospice or hospital
- Bereavement support and signposting
- Teaching and training teams and individuals
What is children’s palliative care?
Palliative care aims to enhance quality of life for children with a serious or life-threatening condition. This care encompasses the physical, emotional, social and spiritual wellbeing of the child or young person and their family and, when the time comes, will ensure care, support and choices continue at the end of life.
Children’s palliative care is provided for a wide range of life-limiting or life-threatening conditions.
Every family is unique and so ideas and needs for palliative care are wide ranging.
Telephone: (office hours) 0191 9177570 / Dect 77570
Monday – Friday 8am-6pm
Saturday – Sunday 9am-5pm
Out of Hours referrals (for next working day response):
NECTAR – 0191 2826699 (CHIPS option)
You can also download the CHIPS information leaflet below
Useful links about palliative care
These are nationally approved guidelines for specialist paediatric palliative medicine.
Please contact the CHIPS team if you need support with prescribing and symptom management.