Our children’s respiratory unit provides specialist respiratory care for children in the North East. Patients are referred to us from local paediatricians and GPs.
We support patients at the Great North Children’s Hospital and the Freeman Hospital.
Our staff are familiar with the specific needs of children, and we care for our young patients on dedicated wards and outpatient departments.
We provide a comprehensive service for children and young people. Services range from simple treatment for straight forward respiratory disorders, to leading-edge care for more complex respiratory problems. Alongside this we also provide:
- the regional service for patients diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis
- airway support for complex upper and lower airway problems, including tracheal surgery and airway stenting
- investigations for children with sleep disordered breathing, and operate a long-term ventilation programme
- the very latest drug therapies
- dedicated paediatric surgery and technological support if required
- access to highly-specialised lung function, radiology, bronchoscopy and laboratory services.
Access to latest technology and facilities
Respiratory problems can be highly complex. We have the very latest technology and diagnostic facilities to help us get as accurate a diagnosis of a child’s problem.
We have a highly skilled, ‘multidisciplinary’ team specialised in children’s respiratory medicine. Our team includes consultants, physiotherapists, nurses, dieticians and social workers. Each with a specific area of expertise and each dedicated to providing your child with the best treatment available.
We appreciate how distressing it is for parents and carers when your child is poorly. To offer extra support we operate an on-call system for out-of-hours emergencies. For more complex problems, you will usually have open access to our specialist facilities and staff.
For more information about our service, please contact us on 0191 282 5089