The cardiology service treats people with heart problems who do not need surgical treatment.
If you are from Newcastle or the surrounding area, you will be seen in the cardiology department at the Royal Victoria Infirmary.
However, patients from anywhere else in the UK, or if you need more specialist treatment, you will be seen in the cardiology department at the Freeman Hospital.
We carry out a comprehensive range of diagnostic tests and procedures, including:
- Echocardiogram (ECG)
- Exercise testing
- 24 hour ECG clinic
- Radionuclide tests
- Implantable loop recorders
- Transoesophageal echocardiography
Key clinical procedures include:
- Percutaneous Cardiac Intervention (PCI)
- Electrophysiological studies
- Implantable defibrillators
- Electrical (DC) cardioversions
We have a national reputation for treating people with electrical problems affecting the heart, in addition to angioplasty and transplantation.