Professor Ioakim Spyridopoulos is an honorary Consultant Interventional Cardiologist at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital specialising in the treatment of patients with myocardial infarction (acute heart attacks) using coronary stenting.
- MD at Hannover Medical School, Germany (1992).
- Clinical Cardiology and research training in Tübingen, Germany (1992-2002) and Tufts University Boston, MA, USA (1995 – 1997).
- Assistant Professor and Interventional Cardiologist at Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany (2002 – 2008).
- Appointed Chair of Cardiovascular Gerontology, Institute of Genetic Medicine, Newcastle University in 2008.
- Honorary Consultant for Interventional Cardiology at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital (2008 – to date).
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC).
- Director of Newcastle University Cardiovascular Research Centre. The research focus is on the role of the immune system in atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction.