The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) /ME therapy service assesses and treats patients with Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME.
Our team provides individualised care for patients to:
- Sustain or gradually extend their physical, emotional and mental capacity
- Manage the physical and emotional impact of symptoms and loss of physical capacity.
We offer Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) to people with CFS/ME, mindfulness, relaxation and acceptance therapy
After an initial assessment, we will work with you and in some cases your carers too to develop a care plan. This includes:
- Checking the patient’s symptoms and history
- Planning for care and treatment, including managing setbacks or relapses
- Education, training or employment support needs
- Information and contact details of the healthcare professionals involved
- Reviewing the plan regularly.
The team working with CFS/ME patients in our area has a range of experience, and includes:
- Medical consultants in infectious diseases and tropical medicine
- Clinical psychologists
- Cognitive behavioural therapists
We will work with you if your condition has impacted on your physical and/or psychological wellbeing
We offer every person diagnosed with CFS/ME:
- Acceptance and understanding
- Help to negotiate the healthcare, benefits and social care systems
- Help with occupational activities, including work and education.
Who can use the service?
All residents in Newcastle, North Tyneside and Northumberland can use the CFS/ME therapy service.
How can I be referred into the service?
You will first need to discuss your physical symptoms with your GP who will carry out a number of blood tests to see if you have a medical condition which explains the fatigue.
If the blood tests indicated a medical condition the GP will treat this condition.
If the your fatigue continues after treatment your GP can refer into the service.
Where will I be seen?
Appointments are offered at Molineux Street NHS centre, Kenton Resource Centre, video call or telephone.
- Fighting Fatigue – Sue Pemberton, Catherine Berry
- Overcoming Perfectionism – Roz Shafran
- Overcoming Worry – Mark Freeston and Kevin Meares
Tel: 0191 213 8823
Wednesday and Thursday: 8.30am – 4.30pm
Friday: 9.00am – 12.45pm
Molineux Street NHS Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne