Professor John Simpson is a Professor of respiratory medicine and an Honorary consultant in respiratory medicine.
- Leads a specialist clinic for pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs), and is part of a specialist clinic for interstitial lung disease (scarring of the lungs).
- Director of the NIHR Newcastle In Vitro Diagnostics Co-operative.
- NIHR Senior Investigator 2020-2024.
- Professor of Respiratory Medicine, Newcastle University.
- Pulmonary embolism
- pulmonary fibrosis (interstitial lung disease)
- ventilator-associated pneumonia
Understanding how hospital-acquired infections develop, particularly in the intensive care unit, and developing new treatments to prevent these (while reducing unnecessary use of antibiotics)
Additional research interests in pulmonary embolism and interstitial lung disease.