It’s really important patients continue to attend any planned appointments with us and we are always here if you have urgent or medical emergency needs. Our aim is to keep you safe and we’ve got lots of measures in place across our hospital and community sites.
If you are coming into hospital for an appointment or an outpatient procedure, please read the following information.Coming into hospital factsheet
If you are shielding and you have either received an appointment or have an existing appointment with us, please ring the contact number on your letter or appointment card.
We will then be able to advise you whether you should attend and whether a telephone or video appointment would be more appropriate for you.
If you do need to come in to hospital we will make specific arrangements for you to attend your clinic.
Preparing for your hospital appointment
- We ask all patients and visitors that they arrive to hospital wearing a face covering from home
- Please arrive for your appointment at the allocated time. Please do not be late or early
- Staff may be wearing personal protective equipment (PPE). This is in line with Public Health England guidance. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask our staff
- Please attend the appointment alone if it is safe to do so. If you need to be accompanied this must be with only one other person. Children should be accompanied by one adult only
- Please wash your hands or use hand gel which is available on arrival
- Please observe social distancing whilst waiting and during your appointment. We will do all we can to direct you to your appointment safely
- When your appointment is finished, please leave the hospital promptly
The safety of our patients is our primary concern. To minimise the chances of getting coronavirus, it is very important that you maintain and follow social distancing measures at home for two weeks before your procedure if you are having one.
This means avoiding contact with others as much as possible, both inside and outside of your home.
This may include not attending school or work during this period. Please discuss any specific concerns you may have with us by calling the number on your appointment letter.
Main hospital outpatient departments
Appointment Booking Centre – for all outpatient appointments: 0191 282 4444
Open between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
If you need to make any changes to your outpatient appointment, please call the contact number on your appointment letter.
Some outpatient clinics will be offering telephone consultations as an alternative to face-to-face consultations. You may have been contacted about this already.
If you have not been contacted by us directly your face-to-face appointment will be going ahead as planned.