We’re always working on new projects to help the Trust minimise its impact on the environment.
On this page you can keep up-to-date on our latest news.
Carbon Trust Standard for Waste
Our achievements in improving the way we manage our waste has been awarded the coveted Carbon Trust Standard for Waste. We were only the second NHS Trust (and the first outside of London) to achieve this award.
The award follows an audit by the Carbon Trust who recognised our commitment to improving the Trust’s environmental sustainability, and our work to develop programmes to reduce, reuse and recycle more of the waste we produce.
- the first NHS Trust in Europe to switch to reusable sharps boxes in 2004
- diverting all our waste away from landfill since January 2011
- breaking down our food waste in special ‘digesters’
- recycling paper, plastic and metal from our healthcare processes
- baling our cardboard on-site to generate an income
- reducing the amount of waste we produce in relation to the number of patients we see.
Find out more information about the Carbon Trust Waste Standard.